It’s the new year – the perfect time for reflection and redirection It’s the time of year when I realize how many of my goals I failed to meet in the previous year, beat myself up about it and then promise to get it together this time around. Not anymore.
I’m switching things up for 2015 and I’m setting some fun, inviting and attainable goals. That means beer is involved. This is my New Beers Resolution.
Step Up My Glassware Game
Don’t get me wrong, I think my glassware game is pretty tight, but I could do better. Right now I have at least 2 of each standard beer glass type but there are a few super fancy glasses that I don’t have, like a thistle for Scotch Ales or a boot for Oktoberfest and Bock brews.
Who knew there were so many?!
Find a Cider (or two) That I Truly Respect
Ciders don’t taste bad to me at all. On a hot day they’re super refreshing and work really well in craft beer cocktails, but I don’t respect them. I’ll blame that on my college years in Tallahassee when dudes would buy Woodchuck Pear Cider to increase the likelihood of girls attending their parties. I always fancied myself a real beer drinker so I naturally took offense. But that was almost 20 years ago. It’s time to bury the hatchet.
Visit Every Brewery & Tasting Room in Metro Atlanta
Because, why not? I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I haven’t been to every single one of them but breweries are popping up all over the metro area, so I don’t feel that bad. Thankfully, Atlanta Beer does a great job of keeping up with them with their interactive mapping tool. Road trip, anyone?
Attend a Craft Beer Festival Outside of Georgia
I’ve been to most of the metro Atlanta beer festivals at least a few times but it’s time to branch out! I’ve heard only the best things about the Great American Beer Festival where the largest collection of U.S. beer is served in a public tasting event. The festival takes place annually in Denver. There’s absolutely no reason not to go.
Try Lots of New Beers (Duh)
New beers drop all of the time; I just can’t keep up. Thank heavens for Beer Street Journal’s “Coming Soon” page! Here are a few I’m itching to try in this shiny new year:
- Stone’s Delicious IPA (Available now) – A 7.7 % ABV, 80 IBU, nearly-gluten-free beer brewed with the experimental Lemondrop hop. According to the message boards, this varietal is hard to come by, so I’m dying to experience it.
- Wandering Aengus Cider (Available now) – This one comes highly recommended by The Beer Chicks, so we know it’s legit. It’s not available in stores and doesn’t ship to Georgia but can be shipped to Florida (where I have friends who I’ll see soon), so there’s my work-around!
- Boulevard’s Spring Belle Saison (Spring 2015) – I never get tired of saisons. Boulevard brewed this one with Elderflowers and rose petals. It sounds like springtime in a glass. This should be lovely!
- Jailhouse Brewing’s Last Request (Late 2015) – They’ve taken their chocolatey, malty Breakout Stout and aged it in bourbon barrels. Yum. I can’t wait to pair this with brownies.
- Victory’s Deep Cocoa Porter (Release date unknown) – I’m coming around to Porters, I’m a chocoholic and I love Every. Single. Thing. that Victory produces. I’m looking forward to trying this one out!